How to Create Meaningful Work
This post is going to massage the idea of creating a life that supports the creative process. The reason we aren’t creating more meaningful work is, we are too busy producing work for someone else. Doing this day in and day out is draining and can kill a person’s creativity. Focusing on your needs and goals will address the root of what you need to change to achieve you ikigai.
Ikigai (ee-kee-guy) is a Japanese term from one’s reason for being, it is believed that everyone has an ikigai and discovering it brings satisfaction in life. So here is where you look inward and ask yourself. Is what I’m doing today something that makes me feel fulfilled? If your answer is no then chances are you are fulfilling someone else’s dreams.
Reverse Engineer Your Life and Analyze Your Needs!
Working takes up a lot of your time. It doesn’t make sense to stay in a position that doesn’t make you feel confident in what you do. We often make the mistake of designing our life around a career as opposed to choosing a career that fits our own life. In most cases finding a job that fits who you are can be challenging, especially if you don’t understand how to achieve a work/ life balance.
“The life you want starts by embracing the lafe you have”
Vanya Lazarova says in her article on Addicted2success.com that you need to build your life around work that gets you excited. Design your life, and then find a career that fits the lifestyle you dream of. Doing this will reinvigorate you, emotionally and physically because you’re beginning to align you ikigai.
Heres a list of things you need to ask yourself before reconstructing your life.
- What is the lifestyle I want to have?
- What do I want my daily activities to be?
- Where would I like to work from?
- What hours and intensity of wor do I want to commit to?
- What is my social and family life going to look like?
- What are the fields of interest that I would like to develop, learn and grow in?
- What and what is supporting my values and interests?
- What is making me proud to say what I do for a living and why?
- What impact do I want to create for society and for the community I am a part of?
- How do I want to make money and how much money do I need to feel comfortable supporting myself and my family?